MP-0000.1828.20 | McGill Street, Montreal, QC, about 1869
McGill Street, Montreal, QC, about 1869
About 1869, 19th century
Silver salts on paper mounted on card - Albumen process
16 x 21 cm
Gift of Mr. Stanley G. Triggs
© McCord Museum
Keywords: architecture (335) , barrel (4) , cityscape (422) , Cityscape (3948) , commercial (84) , container (6) , Figure (1339) , Figure (1339) , freight sleigh (8) , group (644) , horse drawn. sleigh (2) , McGill Street (8) , Montreal (409) , Photograph (77678) , Sleigh (315) , streetscape (187) , streetscape (1737) , transportation (338) , winter scene (26)
Named after the celebrated entrepreneur James McGill (1744-1813), McGill Street is an important artery in Montreal. It was first laid out in 1804, after the city fortifications were torn down. The street separated Old Montreal from the district known as the Faubourg des Récollets. This photograph shows a view of McGill Street at the corner of St. Paul Street. The intersection was midway in the first section of McGill Street opened in 1817 between St. James Street and Place d'Youville. The street was extended south to De la Commune Street, which ran parallel to the St. Lawrence River, only in 1845. This was because the St. Pierre River ran across the route of the street and had to be rechanneled underground, a task which was completed in 1831-1832. Telegraph poles were installed up and down McGill Street after 1847, when telegraph service was introduced to Montreal.
In the lower-left corner of the photograph, in the foreground, three warehouse-stores are visible. The buildings, known as the Dominion Block, had been completed two years earlier, in 1867, from a design by the architects C.P. and W. Thomas. The buildings had three different owners, each of whom opened a business there. Walter Macfarlane opened a drygoods store (selling textiles, notions and the like), Luke Moore had a wholesale spice business and James Donnelly originally had a drygoods store as well.