MP-0000.181.1.2 | French Regime room, McCord National Museum, Joseph House, Montreal, QC, about 1927

 
Photograph
French Regime room, McCord National Museum, Joseph House, Montreal, QC, about 1927
Sydney Jack Hayward
1927, 20th century
Silver salts on paper (glossy finish) - Gelatin silver process
20.3 x 25.4 cm
MP-0000.181.1.2
© McCord Museum
Description
Keywords:  Architecture (8646) , architecture (335) , display case (3) , French Regime display (1) , interior (40) , Jesse Joseph House (1) , McCord Museum of Canadian History (1) , McCord National Museum (1) , Montreal (409) , museum (8) , Photograph (77678) , Wolfe and Montcalm exhibition (1)
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Keys to History

The founder of the McCord Museum, David Ross McCord (1844-1930), amassed a collection of historic artifacts that reflected the history of Canada.

In 1919 McCord donated his collection to McGill University, and the McCord National Museum was officially opened on October 13, 1921. It was located in the Jesse Joseph House, on the corner of McTavish and Sherbrooke Streets on the McGill campus. This photograph shows the museum's French Regime (1608-1763) Room. It and the other rooms in the house displayed artifacts related to Native history, Major-General James Wolfe (1727-1759), the history of McGill University, religion in Quebec and McCord family history.

David McCord felt that he was not the owner of this vast collection, but that he merely held it for Canada. His donation to McGill was therefore a gift to his fellow Canadians. The collection grew out of McCord's voluminous knowledge of Canadian history and his interest in the important objects that his family had accumulated.

  • What

    The photograph shows the room devoted to the French Regime (1608-1763) in Canada in the first McCord Museum building.

  • Where

    The McCord National Museum was located in the Jesse Joseph House, located at the corner of Sherbrooke and McTavish Streets.

  • When

    The McCord National Museum was officially opened on October 13, 1921, and this photograph would have been taken around that date.

  • Who

    David Ross McCord (1844-1930) owned a library of several thousand books, journals and pamphlets in which he made notes and references for further reading.