MP-0000.158.57 | Devil's Gap Lodge, Kenora, ON, about 1925
Devil's Gap Lodge, Kenora, ON, about 1925
Anonyme - Anonymous
About 1925, 20th century
Silver salts and transparent ink on glass - Gelatin dry plate process
8 x 10 cm
Gift of Mr. Stanley G. Triggs
© McCord Museum
Keywords: architecture (335) , Architecture (8646) , bungalow camp (4) , commercial (84) , commercial (1771) , Devils Gap Lodge (1) , forest (10) , group (644) , hotel (27) , landscape (101) , Photograph (77678)
"Kenora: Leaving Fort William, the railway enters a somewhat sparsely settled district of dense forests, lakes, streams and rock. For over three hundred miles we are still in the Province of Ontario, which corresponds roughly with this great bush country. A very important pulp industry has been developed, the centres of which are Dryden and Lake of the Woods. Kenora, the chief town of this district, lies at the northern end of Lake of the Woods, a large beautiful expanse of water extending seventy-five miles south to to Rainy River, and dotted as it is with hundreds of islands, it is a favorite summer resort for Winnipeg people. Another delightful Canadian Pacific Bungalow camp has been established here, similar to those at French River and Nipigon."
Excerpt from "ACROSS CANADA BY C. P. R.", Section 3--The Province of Ontario; booklet, McGill University Illustrated Lectures, 1928.