MP-0000.158.4 | Annapolis Royal, NS, about 1923
Annapolis Royal, NS, about 1923
Anonyme - Anonymous
About 1923, 20th century
Silver salts and transparent ink on glass - Gelatin dry plate process
8 x 10 cm
Gift of Mr. Stanley G. Triggs
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Architecture (8646) , Military (334) , Photograph (77678)
"Annapolis Royal, N.S.: The old historic town of Annapolis Royal was founded by the French, under the name "Port Royal," in 1605, and was for over one hundred and fifty years the scene of part of the long and bitter struggle between French and English for possesion of the New World. From its founding until 1710, when it passed into the hands of the English, its story is an endless succesion of captures, re-captures, and changing masters; and even for forty years after 1710 it was in an almost continous state of siege. The fort is still in good repair, and has been created a National Park. The picture shows the old quarters of the officers, now a museum."
Excerpt from "ACROSS CANADA BY C. P. R.", Section 1--The Maritime Provinces; booklet, McGill University Illustrated Lectures, 1928.