MP-0000.158.31 | Parliament buildings, Ottawa, ON, about 1923

 
Photograph, glass lantern slide
Parliament buildings, Ottawa, ON, about 1923
Anonyme - Anonymous
About 1923, 20th century
Silver salts and transparent ink on glass - Gelatin dry plate process
8 x 10 cm
Gift of Mr. Stanley G. Triggs
MP-0000.158.31
© McCord Museum
Description
Keywords:  Architecture (8646) , architecture (335) , governmental (274) , governmental (12) , new (1) , Ottawa (90) , Parliament Buildings (3) , Photograph (77678)
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Description

"Ottawa: The Federal capital of the Dominion of Canada is picturesquely situated at the junction of the Rideau and Ottawa Rivers. Ottawa (population 120,000) is the residence of the Governor-General of Canada, the meeting-place of the house of Commons and the Senate, and the headquarters of the administrative departments of the Governments. The city stands on high ground and contains many stately buildings and fine residences. The Parliament Buildings have now been reconstructed after the disastrous fire which destroyed them in February, 1916, the main building, seen here, being entirely new. Tributary to Ottawa are large lumbering districts, such as the Gatineau Valley, and the Chaudiere Falls afford water-power for, amongst other industries, a host of sawmills."

Excerpt from "ACROSS CANADA BY C. P. R.", Section 3--The Province of Ontario; booklet, McGill University Illustrated Lectures, 1928.