MP-0000.1117.10 | Rue de la Station, Contrecoeur, QC, about 1910
Rue de la Station, Contrecoeur, QC, about 1910
Anonyme - Anonymous
About 1910, 20th century
Silver salts on paper mounted on card - Gelatin silver process
6 x 11 cm
Gift of Mr. Stanley G. Triggs
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Cityscape (3948) , Photograph (77678) , Sleigh (315) , streetscape (1737)
This photograph was taken at the entry to Contrecoeur, Quebec, a town officially founded in 1902. The town, which is in the Montérégie region, extends along the banks of the St. Lawrence River, about 45 kilometres from the city of Montreal. It was named after sieur Antoine Pécaudy de Contrecoeur (1596-1688), an officer of the Carignan Salières Regiment and the seigneur of the land where the town was later built. Founded in 1667, the seigneury of Contrecoeur was one of the first French settlements in North America.
In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, several shoe factories opened in Contrecoeur, establishing the town as an industrial centre, diversifying its economic activities and attracting new residents. Joseph Papin Limited, the first and ultimately the largest shoe factory there, opened in 1883. The Lafayette Shoe Company was founded a few years later, in 1898. Other shoe manufacturers opened over the years but most eventually shut their doors.