MP-0000.10.95 | Tanneries Village, St. Henry, near Montreal, QC, 1859

 
The most recent version of the Flash plugin must be installed
Get Flash Player
Creative Commons License
Photograph
Tanneries Village, St. Henry, near Montreal, QC, 1859
Alexander Henderson
1859, 19th century
Silver salts on paper mounted on paper - Salted paper process
20.3 x 25.4 cm
Purchase from Mr. John L. Russell
MP-0000.10.95
© McCord Museum
Description
Keywords:  Cityscape (3948) , Photograph (77678) , streetscape (1737)
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Keys to History

The Saint-Henri district was the centre of Montreal's leather trade during the first half of the nineteenth century. The tanneries essential to this trade were operated by artisans and were mainly owned and run by families. The tanners' shops were usually situated adjacent to their homes. In 1825, the population of Saint-Henri was 466 and 63% of the declared occupations were associated in one way or another with the leather trade. In about 1813, the "Tanneries" were given the official name of Saint-Henri-des-Tanneries, in honour of the Sulpician Superior Henri-Auguste Roux (1760-1831). On February 25, 1875, the village became a city and on October 30, 1905 it was annexed to Montreal.