M999.54.25 | Point de Monts, 1885-1889

 
The most recent version of the Flash plugin must be installed
Get Flash Player
Creative Commons License
Painting
Point de Monts, 1885-1889
Henry Richard S. Bunnett
1885-1889, 19th century
Watercolour on paper
18.5 x 20.5 cm
Gift of M. Châteauguay Perrault and Mme Valérie Migneault Perrault
M999.54.25
© McCord Museum
Description
Keywords:  Painting (2229) , painting (2227) , Waterscape (2986)
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Keys to History

Large Lighthouses
The largest and best known lighthouses are the landfall and major coastal lights. One example is the lighthouse at Cap-des-Rosiers, on the Gaspé coast. Thirty-four metres high, it was one of the "Imperial Towers" built with British assistance in 1858. Then there are the tall stone lighthouses found in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, such as the one at Pointe-des-Monts. It was 27.5 metres high and had a base 2 metres thick. This type of lighthouse was usually a circular or octagonal tower made of stone, concrete or wood. Its lamps could be seen from far away (30 kilometres or more).

  • What

    The lighthouse at Pointe-des-Monts is a tall, circular tower made of stone and equipped with a copper polygonal lamp more than 3 metres in diameter. Originally, it was lit by 13 oil lamps, each equipped with a parabolic reflector, but that system was replaced by a more efficient lens at the end of the 19th century.

  • Where

    The lighthouse at Pointe-des-Monts is located on the north shore of the St. Lawrence River, near Baie-Trinité, a small hamlet between Baie-Comeau and Sept-Îles.

  • When

    The construction of the Pointe-des-Monts Lighthouse was completed in 1830. But the site had been chosen even earlier, in 1826, when Trinity House in Quebec City started planning the lighthouse. It was needed to prevent ships leaving the river at that point from going ashore near Anticosti Island, as many had done.

  • Who

    The last lighthouse keepers here were Jacques and Marie-Berthe Landry. In 1964, they led a campaign to prevent the demolition of the lighthouse, and the following year the province of Quebec purchased the lighthouse and made it a historical monument.