M996X.2.759 | Victor Talking Machine Co.
Victor Talking Machine Co.
1902-1925, 20th century
29.5 x 42 x 39 cm
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Turntable (2)
This gramophone was manufactured in the United States by the Victor Talking Machine Co. and distributed in Canada by the Berliner Gramophone Co. Ltd. of Montreal. This is the VV-VI (Victor Victrola VI) model, which seems to have been sold between 1911 and 1925. The first Victrola came out in 1906.
In 1900 Emile Berliner, who 13 years earlier had patented his gramophone, his horizontal disc and the master for pressing it, set up business in Montreal, where he made and distributed many types of discs and disc players. The American Victor Talking Machine Co. maintained various business links with Berliner until buying it out in 1924.
This gramophone has the horn built into its wooden base that allows the sound volume to be controlled by opening or closing the two doors in front of it. A sticker on the underside of the machine indicates that it sold for $32.50 in Canada.
On the side of the machine is the famous trademark featuring Nipper the dog leaning towards a gramophone. This representation, signed by British painter Francis Barraud, was registered in 1900 by Emile Berliner and used for over 70 years.