M990X.371.1.2 | The Grand Trunk Railway at Point St. Charles

 
The most recent version of the Flash plugin must be installed
Get Flash Player
Creative Commons License
Print
The Grand Trunk Railway at Point St. Charles
Anonyme - Anonymous
1869, 19th century
Ink on paper
28.1 x 40.1 cm
M990X.371.1.2
© McCord Museum
Description
Keywords:  Print (10661) , rail (370) , Transportation (2517)
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Keys to History

In 1856 the Grand Trunk opened in Point St. Charles and Sainte-Anne its huge shops where rolling stock was built and maintained. This complex of shops was divided into two separate halves, one for the cars and coaches (metal and wood) and the other for the locomotives (metal only). A whole range of different crafts and skills was required for the many jobs carried out in these highly mechanized shops, which comprised Montreal's largest industrial agglomeration to date. Locomotives began to be built here in 1859 and by 1861 the Grand Trunk was the largest source of manufacturing jobs in the city, with 698 people on its payroll, of whom 452 worked in the shops. By 1871 the complex employed 790 workers, and the figures for 1879 and 1882 were 1 300 and 1 564 respectively. Indeed, in 1882 a total of 2 904 Montrealers were working in the Grand Trunk's workshops, stations, warehouses, yards, offices and on board its trains.