M9220.127.116.11-3 | Model of Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours
1875-1900, 19th century
112 x 90 x 118 cm
Gift of Mrs. Elizabeth Lewis
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Model (422)
Keys to History
This model depicts the Chapel of Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours after the renovations of 1886-1894. The chapel, built in 1771, is situated on St. Paul Street, on the same site as the chapel built in 1670 under the direction of Marguerite Bourgeoys. Over the years, the chapel attracted many sailors to its services of worship, no doubt because of its proximity to the port and river.
After the renovations of 1885-1894, the original chapel was hidden by a new façade on St. Paul Street that included two side steeples. At the back, facing the harbour, the chapel was greatly expanded with the addition of a bell tower topped with a large statue of the Virgin Mary.
The model is a combination of materials from wood, glass metal, plaster and cotton.
This model was found in an antique shop on St. Paul Street, a few blocks west of the church itself.
This model of the chapel was built after the completion of the renovations in 1894.
Elizabeth Lewis, who donated this model to the McCord Museum, is an avid collector of dolls and doll houses.