M984.306.1288.4 | The Canadian Pacific Railway: Sudbury Junction, to Algoma and Gold Mines

 
The most recent version of the Flash plugin must be installed
Get Flash Player
Creative Commons License
Create a new pair
Print
The Canadian Pacific Railway: Sudbury Junction, to Algoma and Gold Mines
F. Jennings
1888, 19th century
Ink on newsprint - Wood engraving
39.4 x 29.4 cm
Gift of Mr. Colin McMichael
M984.306.1288.4
© McCord Museum
Description
Keywords:  Landscape (2230) , Print (10661)
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Keys to History

Originally, Sudbury was merely a depot and railway junction on the Canadian Pacific line to the West. When company gangs laid the track in 1883, it was to provide access to land for settlers, including many French Canadians. The next year, a large number of copper deposits were discovered, and shortly after that, the drilling began. Not in Sudbury itself, which remained a railway and commercial town for the next 30 years, but in the surrounding area, in places like Copper Cliff. Copper was the first mineral to draw attention, and then it was realized that the ore also contained a similar amount of nickel. At the time few uses for nickel were known, but it did not take long to discover the possibilities.

  • What

    The Canadian Pacific track and station are hard to make out on this drawing, because of the tree stumps and company buildings.

  • Where

    The main building in the middle of the picture looks rather like the first train station. But its distance from the track, across the hill to the left, indicates that the artist probably took liberties in composing the drawing.

  • When

    When the first earth-moving gangs entered the region, in 1883, part of the forest was burned down; at least, that is what the government surveyor criss-crossing McKim Township reported.

  • Who

    It was one of the officials in charge of building the railway, James Worthington, who suggested naming the railway stop Sudbury, after his wife's birthplace in England.