M979.87.5041 | The Recollet House of the Present Day
The Recollet House of the Present Day
1872, 19th century
Ink on paper - Photolithography
27.5 x 40 cm
Gift of Charles deVolpi
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Architecture (8646) , commercial (1771) , Print (10661)
Keys to History
Still standing on the corner of Notre-Dame and St. Hélène streets, the Recollet House was built on the site of the former Church of the Récollets, erected in 1693 .
After the Récollets, a reformed branch of the Franciscan family , were forced to leave Montreal in 1760, the church became state property . It then served as a place of worship for different congregations before it was sold in 1867 to merchants Lewis, Kay and Co., wholesale importers of dry goods and high-end products, and was demolished . In the early 1870s the new Recollet House was built on this site in the style of an Italian Palazzo fitting the face of the changing sector into a commercial district. .
This engraving shows the new commercial building belonging to the company of Brown and Claggett. From the 1850s to the 1870s, Notre-Dame street became the place to shop as wholesalers and producers built warehouse-stores with showrooms destined to entice shoppers .
This wood engraving shows the Brown and Claggett company, who were importers and wholesale retail dealers in "British, foreign and American fancy staple dry goods".
The Recollet House stands on the southeast corner of Notre-Dame Street at St. Hélène streets, in Old Montreal.
In the late 19th century, the term"palace" was often used to describe an elaborate store building, like this one .
Shopping "palaces", like the store seen in this illustration, created an atmosphere which turned shopping into a social activity to be enjoyed in attractive surroundings .