M979.87.5024 | Messrs Clendinning's Foundry-Moulding Shop
Messrs Clendinning's Foundry-Moulding Shop
Anonyme - Anonymous
1872, 19th century
39 x 27 cm
Gift of Mr. Charles deVolpi
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Genre (188) , Print (10661)
Keys to History
The industrial revolution favoured the expansion of foundries. To meet needs and beat the competition, the foundries adopted new work methods, such as piecework and division of tasks.
The Clendinning foundry was in one of the first industrial and working-class neighbourhoods in Montreal, Griffintown. The population of this neighbourhood, not far from downtown, was mainly of Irish origin. Workers who could, lived close to their places of work.
After its enlargement, in 1872, this foundry became one of the biggest in Montreal with its 180 workers, of which 17% were less than 16 years old. In fact, the division of tasks permitted the company to hire unskilled workers to do simple tasks. Close to his workers, W. Clendinning was nevertheless demanding. In March 1872, he opposed a movement to reduce the workday from ten to nine hours.
In 1872, the Clendinning foundry declared a monthly production of close to 5000 stoves and ranges, 1500 iron bed spindles and 2000 tons of railway material, construction material and agricultural equipment.
This moulding shop measured 100 x 106 feet (39.37 x 41.73 m). Among the new facilities built in 1872 was a reading room for the workers.
Published on May 4, 1872 in the weekly Canadian Illustrated News, this illustration was made following the expansion work undertaken by the foundry in 1871.
This unsigned illustration could be by Eugène Haberer (1837-1921), a craftsman engraver who produced other images of this factory in the same paper.