M975.62.501 | The New Buildings of the C. W. Williams Manufacturing Company of Montreal
The New Buildings of the C. W. Williams Manufacturing Company of Montreal
1880, 19th century
Ink on paper - Photolithography
21.4 x 34.2 cm
Gift of Mr. Charles deVolpi
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Architecture (8646) , industrial (826) , Print (10661)
Keys to History
The industrialization that began in the 1840s along the banks of the Lachine Canal continued with the building of the railway and of the Victoria Bridge. (...)
After 1856, when the Montreal-Toronto line was opened, industries continued to locate along the Lachine Canal rather than along the railway. Only slowly did this trend change. The Moseley industrial tannery was built in 1859-1860 at the junction of the railway and the canal on the Saint-Henri side. During the 1860s and 1870s more companies established themselves where they could use both systems of transport, near to both the canal and the stations. They could thus bring in raw materials and send out finished products by the railway or the Lachine Canal.
In 1879 the William's sewing-machine factory opened in Saint-Henri, in an unbuilt-up area very close to the railway.