M918.104.22.168 | Nelson's Pillar, Montreal
Nelson's Pillar, Montreal
William Henry Bartlett (1809-1854)
1839-1842, 19th century
Ink on paper
28.6 x 21.8 cm
Gift of Miss Moodie
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Architecture (8646) , monument (204) , Print (10661)
Keys to History
The Nelson Column was erected in the "New Market," a busy quarter of Montreal that took the name Place Jacques-Cartier around the late 1840s.
The monument was set up in honour of the British admiral, Horatio Nelson, who beat Napoleon before giving up the ghost in the naval Battle of Trafalgar, which took place in October 1805 during the Napoleonic Wars. In the winter of 1806, Montrealers received news of both the victory and death of Admiral Nelson. A number of citizens, mostly of British origin, helped finance the erection of the column.