M313 | Montreal from St. Helen's Island in 1832.
Montreal from St. Helen's Island in 1832.
James Duncan (1806-1881)
1832, 19th century
Watercolour, gouache and graphite on paper
44.9 x 71.4 cm
Gift of Mr. David Ross McCord
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Painting (2229) , painting (2227)
This view, executed from above the barracks on St. Helen's Island looking north-west across the river to the city. This watercolour was acquired by John McCord. In 1866, they were given by Anne Ross McCord to her son David as a birthday present. Duncan has depicted, towards the far left, the Notre-Dame Church of 1828 with its new towers, despite the fact that they were not completed until 1843. The large complex of buildings close to the banks of the river belonged to the Quebec Barracks, which were situated on the old site of the Quebec Gate. They backed onto Dalhousie Square, which was created after the Citadel hill was removed. (Excerpt from: GRAHAM, Conrad. Mont-Royal - Ville Marie : Early Plans and Views of Montreal, McCord Museum of Canadian History, p.86.)