M22044.93 | Market day, Jacques Cartier Square, Montreal, about 1900
Market day, Jacques Cartier Square, Montreal, about 1900
About 1900, 19th century or 20th century
Silver salts on paper mounted on card - Albumen process
8.8 x 17.7 cm
Gift of Miss Emily LeBaron
© McCord Museum
Jacques Cartier Square was a bustling place during the twice-weekly market, as can be seen here. Market gardeners flocked in from the countryside to sell their fresh produce to Montrealers. The Square was originally the site of Governor Vaudreuil's residence (c. 1643-1725), but was left vacant when the building burned down. It was redeveloped by the city with the express aim of creating a marketplace, and named the ''New Market'' in 1808. The following year, local English businessmen erected Nelson's column in tribute to Admiral Horatio Nelson (1758-1805), who had twice defeated Napoleon and died in the battle of Trafalgar. When the market closed in 1947, the square was named for Jacques Cartier, the French navigator who first sailed up the St. Lawrence to Montreal in 1535. This historic Montreal landmark is located between Notre-Dame and de la Commune streets.