M19761 | Map of the City of Montreal Canada and Vicinity
Map of the City of Montreal Canada and Vicinity
October 1890, 19th century
Ink on paper - Lithography
62.3 x 93.3 cm
Gift of the Estate of Miss Dorothy Coles
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Map (219) , Map (215)
Keys to History
To provide housing for all these new arrivals, as well as for the children of already established Montrealers, a huge number of new dwellings had to be built. This meant that the urban area had to expand. In the beginning, the city was able to accommodate the new immigrants within its existing limits, but by the 1870s, the population was overflowing into new suburban municipalities: Hochelaga to the east, St. Jean Baptiste to the north, and St. Gabriel, Ste. Cunégonde and St. Henri to the southwest; other suburban towns sprang up in the following years. By 1891 there were already close to 70,000 people living in these newly urbanized areas surrounding the original city. Montreal began to try to incorporate these municipalities that had sprouted on its outskirts, annexing four of them between 1883 and 1893.
The map shows the City of Montreal's old municipal boundaries, established in 1792. It also indicates the limits of the main suburban municipalities.
The arrow indicating north points to the right. But Montrealers refer to that part of the city as east. Popular usage is not strictly correct, geographically speaking.
This 1890 map was drawn after the first annexations. Former municipalities became wards within the City of Montreal: Hochelaga (1883), St. Jean Baptiste (1886) and St. Gabriel (1887).
This map is signed by engineer Charles Edward Goad. His office also produced highly detailed, coloured city maps showing each piece of land and each building.