M1859 | Old Montreal.

Old Montreal.
Henry William Cotton
About 1848, 19th century
Watercolour and graphite on paper mounted on board
26 x 38.4 cm
Gift of Mr. David Ross McCord
© McCord Museum
Keywords:  Painting (2229) , painting (2227)
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment


This view was executed looking out of a doorway south-east towards the city. It was painted from Temple Grove, the house belonging to John Samuel McCord (1801-1865), brother-in-law of Henry Cotton. Temple Grove, a brick and wood construction in the Greek Revival style, was designed by Paul Adams and built in 1836. On the left, can be seen a church and its spire. This was the Roman Catholic Church of St. Patrick, which was built in the Gothic Revival style between 1843 and 1847 on De La Gauchetière Street by architects Pierre-Louis Morin (1811-1886) and Père Félix Martin (1804-1886). The depiction here of St. Patrick's means that the view necessarily post-dates 1847, the year of the building's completion. (Excerpt from: GRAHAM, Conrad. Mont-Royal - Ville Marie : Early Plans and Views of Montreal, McCord Museum of Canadian History, p.127.)