M13650 | The Grand Séminaire and the Collège de Montréal, Sherbrooke Street, Montreal, about 1870

 
The most recent version of the Flash plugin must be installed
Get Flash Player
Creative Commons License
Photograph
The Grand Séminaire and the Collège de Montréal, Sherbrooke Street, Montreal, about 1870
James George Parks
About 1870, 19th century
Silver salts on paper mounted on card - Albumen process
8 x 14.8 cm
Gift of Mrs. J. B. Learmont
M13650
© McCord Museum
Description
Keywords: 
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Description

A balcony on the south side of Sherbrooke Street was the perfect spot from which to photograph the Grand Séminaire and the Collège de Montréal. This group of buildings, erected in 1854-1857 to plans by architect John Ostell (1813-1892), housed the two institutions founded by the Sulpicians, owners of the neighbouring properties since 1676. The Grand Séminaire was created in 1840 to train future priests. In 1878, it became the headquarters of the Faculty of Theology, which at first was affiliated with Université Laval, in Quebec City, and then integrated into the Université de Montréal in 1925. Since 1995, the Grand Séminaire has operated as the Institut de formation théologique de Montréal. The Collège de Montréal is even older, dating back to 1767. It was relocated several times, and did not move into the building on Sherbrooke Street until 1870. The building originally included three wings perpendicular to the main body. Among the many changes made to the building was the reconstruction of the chapel in 1903-1907 to plans by architect Joseph-Omer Marchand (1873-1936).