M13095 | Loading wood, Baie des Ha! Ha!, Saguenay River, QC, about 1875, copied about 1987

 
The most recent version of the Flash plugin must be installed
Get Flash Player
Creative Commons License
Photograph
Loading wood, Baie des Ha! Ha!, Saguenay River, QC, about 1875, copied about 1987
James George Parks
1883-1890, 19th century
Silver salts on paper mounted on card - Albumen process
7 x 14 cm
Gift of Mrs. J. B. Learmont
M13095
© McCord Museum
Description
Keywords:  Occupation (1110) , Photograph (77678) , work (389)
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Description

Villages sprang up along the Saguenay Fjord as loggers migrated north from Charlevoix. The demand for timber came from England, which depended on its colonies to supply its shipyards. In 1838, a group called the ''Vingt-et-un,'' supported by Quebec City lumber merchant William Price (1789-1867), set out from La Malbaie to build sawmills along the Saguenay. One of the sites they chose was by a deep bay at the mouth of the Ha! Ha! River. This is where Ha! Ha! Bay got its name. The etymology of the term is still in doubt, however. It might be a mispronunciation of a Native word, or of an old French word, ''haha,'' meaning an unexpected obstacle. The bay might well have been impassable for boats sailing up the Saguenay.