M1242 | The Protestant Episcopal Parish Church of Montreal. Completed 1821.
The Protestant Episcopal Parish Church of Montreal. Completed 1821.
Anonyme - Anonymous
1822, 19th century
Ink on paper - Etching
41 x 22 cm
Gift of Mr. David Ross McCord
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Print (10661)
Keys to History
Built in the 15 years after the burning of the first Anglican church in Montreal in 1803, Christ Church symbolized Protestant power in Montreal in the mid century. Confident after its victory in the rebellions of 1837, English Montreal built and strengthened institutions like the Montreal General Hospital, McGill University, the Protestant Orphan's Asylum and the Montreal High School. Outside Montreal, English-speaking communities expanded in the Ottawa Valley and, more particularly, the Eastern Townships.
Source : The Aftermath of the Rebellions [Web tour], by Brian J. Young, McGill University (see Links)
The Anglican parish church of Montreal is comparable in style and size to the Roman Catholic parish church, Notre Dame. The neo-classical style as well as the columns and portico suggest that British imperial greatness was similar to that of Greece.
Along with Nelson's Monument, the Arts Building of McGill University and the Bonsecours Market, this church gave Montreal a strong British and classical character.
Anglican churches were built in the same period in Quebec City (1818) and Montreal (1821). After the defeat of Napoleon, English Montrealers wanted to commemorate their institutions and their links to classical civilizations. The addition of a clock and weathervane to the spire shows a practical side to Anglicanism.
English Montreal had a strong sense of its own identity and, with its wealth from commerce, could build new institutions like the Montreal General Hospital and the Anglican (Episcopal) parish church.