II-80118.0.1 | North West Mounted Police officers, Fort Walsh, SK, 1878
North West Mounted Police officers, Fort Walsh, SK, 1878
1886, 19th century
Silver salts on paper mounted on paper - Albumen process
17.8 x 12.7 cm
Purchase from Associated Screen News Ltd.
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Military (334) , Photograph (77678)
Keys to History
Part of the understanding between First Nations people and the government that persuaded the First Nations to sign the treaties were the pledges by the government to protect them from unscrupulous whiskey traders and other non-Native people who often took advantage of them. Fort Walsh was built in 1875 in the Cypress Hills of southwestern Saskatchewan, on the site of the Cypress Hills Massacre, a notorious murder of peaceful Assiniboines by drunken "whites" from south of the American border. The fort was named after James Morrow Walsh, its first commander, and became the headquarters of the N.W.M.P. in 1878. Abandoned in 1883, it was used as a horse ranch by the police after 1942. It is now a National Historic Site.
This is an early photograph of officers of the North West Mounted Police.
The officers are posing at Fort Walsh, in the Cypress Hills in southwestern Saskatchewan.
The fort was built in 1875 by the North West Mounted Police. Three years later, when this picture was taken, it was being used as the headquarters of the entire force.
The officers are unidentified, though the man sitting at the left of the second row may be Inspector James Morrow Walsh, after whom the fort was named.