II-165809 | Catholic High School, Montreal, QC, 1907
Catholic High School, Montreal, QC, 1907
Wm. Notman & Son
1907, 20th century
Silver salts on glass - Gelatin dry plate process
20 x 25 cm
Purchase from Associated Screen News Ltd.
© McCord Museum
Keywords: male (26812) , Photograph (77678) , portrait (53878)
Keys to History
In Montreal, in the early 20th century, social inequalities were glaring in the area of education, where the gap between Protestants and Catholics was considerable. Since each school board was funded primarily by means of the property tax raised from members of its religious denomination, resources were far greater on the Protestant side, and that had an impact on the quality of facilities and teachers' salaries. The underfunded Catholic school board paid meagre salaries, and its schools were overcrowded. The growing number of school-age children exacerbated the situation. In the Catholic community, the upper classes generally sent their children to private school.
The Catholic High School was a private institution for English-speaking Catholic children (especially of Irish ancestry). It played a role similar to that of the collèges classiques among French-speaking Montrealers.
Initially located near the Irish parish church of St. Patrick's, the school moved around 1904 to a building at 55 Durocher Street, at the corner of Milton.
The Catholic High School was founded on March 10, 1899.
The foundation was the work of Irish Sulpician priests of St. Patrick's parish. Among the benefactors were not only the St. Sulpice Seminary, but also Lord Strathcona.