II-116161 | W.R. Miller's house and garden, Stanley Street, Montreal, QC, 1896
W.R. Miller's house and garden, Stanley Street, Montreal, QC, 1896
Wm. Notman & Son
1896, 19th century
Silver salts on glass - Gelatin dry plate process
12 x 20 cm
Purchase from Associated Screen News Ltd.
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Architecture (8646) , Photograph (77678) , residential (1255)
Keys to History
The Anglo-Scottish upper class lived in luxurious homes at the foot of Mount Royal, in the St. Antoine ward. They belonged to fancy clubs with very selective membership criteria. They contributed generously to the funding of English Protestant institutions such as McGill University and the Montreal General Hospital. The Montreal Board of Trade was the respected mouthpiece of this dominant class.
A large villa surrounded by gardens: this was the typical setting in which the Montreal business élite lived toward the end of the 19th century.
W. R. Miller's house stood at 308 Stanley Street, near Sherbrooke.
The house was built around 1896, according to the plans of architect Robert Findlay.
W. R. Miller was a stock broker at the Montreal Stock Exchange. His company was Robert Moat & Co.