9366 | Pot
30 x 25 cm
Gift of Mr. Duncan London
This artefact belongs to: © New Brunswick Museum
Keys to History
The discovery of 73 Wolastoqiyik pot fragments in 1893 and their subsequent donation to the Natural History Society of New Brunswick is one of many events suggesting that New Brunswickers were taking a new interest in the history of their own surroundings in the early years of the 20th century. The Natural History Society was formed in 1882 and over subsequent decades played an active role in the improvement of scientific and archaeological techniques. It sponsored original research and educational lectures, and also published the Bulletin of the Natural History Society of New Brunswick. Some of the leading citizens of the province were members and, early on, the Society began collecting and exhibiting treasures such as this pot.
The wide interest in antiquities, arts and sciences was also reflected in the founding of the journal Acadiensis. This magazine, which was and still is dedicated to the study of Maritime issues and history, thrived during the first decade of the 20th century.
This pot is decorated with geometric designs that were impressed in damp clay using a small-toothed tool.
The pot fragments were found at Maquapit Lake, Queens County, and were unearthed in good enough condition to allow for the excellent reconstruction shown here.
It is believed the pot was made approximately 1500 to 2000 years ago.
Duncan London discovered the fragments of the pot and donated them to the Natural History Society, the immediate forerunner of the New Brunswick Museum, in November 1904.