83-1-3 | Ganong's G. B. Chocolates
Ganong's G. B. Chocolates
Gift of Whidden Ganong
This artefact belongs to : © Musée acadien of the Université de Moncton
Keys to History
In the early 20th century, pictures of Evangeline were featured on the labels of all sorts of products, especially edible ones.
The Ganong Brothers chocolate makers of St. Stephen, NB, adopted Evangeline as a trademark in 1904. A woman was chosen to compete with the logos of other chocolate companies, such as Baker's and Suchard-Tobler. Laura Secord chocolates, whose trademark is also a heroine, was founded in 1913.
The famous name of Evangeline was a good way to identify Ganong's, located in the Maritimes. Evangeline also had the same qualities as their candies: "purity, excellence, constancy, romance, and sweetness."
Ganong Brothers, founded in 1872, claim to have invented the chocolate bar, prior to 1898. In any case, their well-known Evangeline Chocolate Cream bar, wrapped in aluminum foil, popularized chocolate bars in North American starting in 1910.
This advertising leaflet for Ganong's confectionery shows Evangeline, the company's trademark from 1907 to 1978.
The Ganong Brothers candy factory, founded in 1872, is in St. Stephen, NB.
This Ganong Brothers leaflet advertises their products for 1907.
This picture of Evangeline, commissioned by Ganong's in 1904, is the work of Ontario illustrator John David Kelly (1862-1958).