7744 | Lynn Valley Suspension Bridge
Lynn Valley Suspension Bridge
About 1915, 20th century
25 x 18.5 cm
This artefact belongs to : © North Vancouver Museum and Archives
Keys to History
When the streetcar line was completed in 1912, North Vancouver's Lynn Canyon area officially opened as a municipal park. Local residents celebrated with the first Lynn Valley Day on September 14 that same year. Decorated ferries, bunting hung along the streetcar route from the ferry wharf to the park, and a band added to the merrymaking, while extra streetcars on the Lynn Valley line carried revellers from around the region. The suspension bridge had also opened that year. It was a money-making venture, costing 10 cents to cross. People would inch across the wobbly bridge, gripping the hawser. The park became a popular outing destination even though it did not offer as many amenities as the Capilano Canyon. Refreshment stands, picnic tables, a children's playground and a bandstand added to the attraction of the canyon wilderness. Today, the reconstructed bridge is free as part of the trail network through the park.
A postcard was made from this picture of the Lynn Valley suspension bridge. Although shorter and lower than the Capilano span, it appears to have been steeper.
The suspension bridge hangs 20 storeys above Lynn Creek Canyon in North Vancouver's Lynn Canyon Park.
This photo was probably taken on Lynn Valley Day in about 1915, three years after the pedestrian toll bridge opened to the public.
The McTavish brothers donated five hectares of land fronting Lynn Creek, and the District of North Vancouver added another four to create the park.