76-7-13 | Note issued by Bank of St. Joseph's College
Note issued by Bank of St. Joseph's College
About 1880, 19th century
18 x 7.2 cm
Gift of Antoine Vienneau
This artefact belongs to : © Musée acadien of the Université de Moncton
Keys to History
St. Joseph's College was founded in 1864 in Memramcook, New Brunswick, by Father Camille Lefebvre. Although it had predecessors - St. Thomas's Seminary (1854-1862) as well as the college opened in Grande-Digue, New Brunswick (1836-1839) - St. Joseph's College was considered the first college in the new Acadia.
The institution played a key role in the Acadian Renaissance. Leading figures of the Acadian elite were schooled there, including Pierre-Amand Landry (1846-1916) and Pascal Poirier (1852-1933). It also served as the location of the first Acadian National Convention, held in 1881.
In 1868, St. Joseph's College began to offer university-level courses, and in 1888, it became St. Joseph's University, the forerunner of the Université de Moncton.
In the original ledger of the Musée acadien de l'Université de Moncton, there is a reference to a note from the Bank of St. Joseph's College as well as references to bank notes issued by other colleges.
Other bank notes issued by the college that were formerly in the collection of the Musée acadien can no longer be found. They may have been destroyed in the fire of 1933 at the college.
The building that housed St. Joseph's College and shown on this bank note stood between 1875 and 1885. The note would have been used during that period.
Commerce students at the college used notes such as this in their courses.