73-55-201 | Teller's boards
1887-1888, 19th century
This artefact belongs to : © Musée acadien of the Université de Moncton
Keys to History
Sorting and documenting timber and sawed lumber for shipment were considerable challenges in the 19th century lumber industry. "Teller's boards" were wooden notepads used to verify the quantity of lumber loaded on ships for export. The information included the names of the mills and vessels and the port of embarcation. Two mills noted on the boards shown here are Dixon's Mill, owned by M. Léger of Cormier Village, and the Upper Mill, owned by Moïse Bourgeois, both of which operated in Haute-Aboujagane, New Brunswick. Both mills were eventually acquired by Joseph L. Black of Sackville, New Brunswick.
Source : All in a Day's Work: Lumbering in New Brunswick [Web tour], by New Brunswick Museum (see Links)
The names of the ships inscribed on the boards are: Brig Erato, Barque Vanier, and Bark (sic) EYR.
Shediac, New Brunswick, is the port of embarcation mentioned on the boards.
The boards date from 1887 and 1888 and bear the names of the sawmills of origin as well as the names of the ship onto which the lumber was loaded.
The Centre d'études acadiennes in Moncton, New Brunswick has an oil painting depicting the house and mill site of François Bourgeois in the late 19th century.