69.33.1 | Rail section
Musée ferroviaire de Saint-Constant
© McCord Museum
Keys to History
This rail section, in the shape of an inverted "U", was apparently used on the first international line of the Grand Trunk Railway, which inherited the rail system used by the Atlantic & Saint Lawrence Rail Road Company. The Grand Trunk took over the company in 1852.
Imported from Britain, this style of rail was used on many of Canada's early railways. Although cheaper to produce than its competitor, this model was much weaker. As a result, much of the rails initially laid on Canadian railways soon had to be replaced.