69-92-628 | Original Acadian flag
Original Acadian flag
1884, 19th century
183 x 279 cm
Gift of La Paroisse Notre-Dame-de-l'Assomption
This artefact belongs to : © Musée acadien of the Université de Moncton
Keys to History
It was during the Second National Convention, which took place in Miscouche, Prince Edward Island in 1884, that the national flag of the Acadians was adopted. The flag was proposed by Father Marcel-François Richard, a leader of the Acadian Renaissance.
"The tricolour flag is the national flag of French-Acadians. To commemorate the nationality of the Acadians a star is found on the flag, while the figure of Mary, in a background of blue, is the symbolic colour of all persons dedicated to Saint Mary. This star, Stella Maris, which must guide the small Acadian community through storms and across shoals, will be in the papal colours for our inviolable attachment to the Saint Church, our Mother."(Le Moniteur acadien, August 28, 1884)
It was also during this convention that the Acadian anthem Ave Maris Stella as well as the Acadian emblem and motto, were adopted.
The flag is composed of 12 woollen rectangles sewn together.
This flag belonged to Anselme Léger, the delegate from Shédiac, New Brunswick, to the convention in Miscouche, Prince Edward Island. Mr. Léger's son, Marcel, gave it to Father Clarence Léger, the priest at Lakeburn, New Brunswick who in turn gave it to the Musée de la Cathédrale in Moncton.
In 1969 the flag was donated to the Musée acadien de l'Université de Moncton, where it remains to this day.
The star was sewn by Marie Babineau, a student from St. Louis de Kent, New Brunswick.