27-523 | Clarence Walace with Ship Model

 
The most recent version of the Flash plugin must be installed
Get Flash Player
Creative Commons License
Create a new pair
Photograph
Clarence Walace with Ship Model
1943, 20th century
24 x 19 cm
27-523
This artefact belongs to : © North Vancouver Museum and Archives
Description
Keywords: 
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Keys to History

Clarence Wallace headed the Burrard Dry Dock Company family business throughout World War II. He was directly responsible for its enormous contribution, making it a personal mission to exceed his promised quota of ships. More-established eastern Canadian shipbuilders had been sceptical of his building schedules and cost projections, but aided by the mild West Coast climate and a well-organized work force, he proved them wrong. The federal government even arranged for other shipbuilders to visit Burrard's facilities to see its highly efficient production methods. Wallace had been gassed in World War I and lost one of his four sons in World War II, which likely explains his strong dedication to helping turn the tide of the war. His personal connections to H. R. MacMillan of Wartime Merchant Shipping Ltd. initially enabled him to secure shipbuilding contracts in 1941. Partly in recognition of his wartime achievements, he was appointed lieutenant-governor of British Columbia in 1950.

  • What

    Burrard Dry Dock president Clarence Wallace poses with a 10,000-ton cargo ship model. Note the portrait of his father, company founder Alfred Wallace, in the background.

  • Where

    This photo was taken in Clarence Wallace's office in the North Vancouver shipyard. The original Wallace Shipyard was in False Creek; the business moved to the north shore of Burrard Inlet in 1906.

  • When

    This photo was taken in 1943. Between January 1942 and December 1943, Burrard completed 65 ships of the model's type, 60 percent of its total wartime production.

  • Who

    Alfred Wallace founded the family business in 1894. Clarence took over in 1929. Clarence's son David later served as general manager until the business was sold in 1972.