2001-1 | 1755 - Eglise-Souvenir a Grand Pre - 1922
1755 - Eglise-Souvenir a Grand Pre - 1922
20 x 25.5 cm
Gift of Jude Gaudet
This artefact belongs to : © Musée acadien of the Université de Moncton
Keys to History
Grand Pré is the best known of all the many villages of historic Acadia. Thanks to Longfellow and his poem Evangeline, A Tale of Acadie, it has come to symbolize the deportation of the Acadians.
In 1907 the land where St. Charles's church stands was purchased by John Frederic Herbin, who was of Acadian descent on his mother's side. His goal was to protect the historic site and erect on it a cross made of stones from the cellars of Acadian houses.
In 1917 John Frederic Herbin sold the land to the Dominion Atlantic Railway, which in turn offered it to the Acadians, on certain conditions. The railway erected the famous statue of Evangeline there in 1920. The Society of the Assumption organized a fund-raising campaign in the Acadian community to build a memorial chapel on the site. The chapel, in an architectural style reminiscent of the 18th century, was built by the Acadians in 1922.
This poster commemorates the inauguration of the Grand Pré memorial chapel. A badge bearing the image of Evangeline is affixed to it, with the inscription "Évangéline. Soyons Acadiens" [Evangeline. Let's be Acadian].
The chapel was built on the site of the original church in Grand Pré.
The structure was erected in 1922. The interior was completed in 1930, and the chapel was inaugurated as a museum when the ceremonies to commemorate the 175th anniversary of the deportation were held.
Édouard LeBlanc, the first Acadian bishop, blessed the cornerstone on August 16, 1922.