1999.340.8 | Jeffrey Mine, Asbestos, QC, about 1899
Jeffrey Mine, Asbestos, QC, about 1899
1899, 19th century
Silver salts on paper
13.9 x 18.9 cm
Gift of Mr. Alfred Penhale Estate
This artefact belongs to :© Musée minéralogique et minier de Thetford Mines
Keys to History
At the turn of the 20th century, bins moved by cable derricks were used to bring up ore and spoil from the pit. They were also used to carry the miners. This system, especially in vogue in the second decade of the 1900s, was improved a number of times. In 1915, for example, the thirteen small cable derricks at the King mine at Thetford Mines were replaced by four much bigger, more powerful ones. This change made it possible to extract twice as much ore in a day, while at the same time reducing the number of bins travelling over the workers' heads.
Miners are going down into the pit in a bin on a cable derrick.
Asbestos was also mined outside the Thetford Mines region (Thetford, Coleraine, Broughton and Ireland townships). In the village of Asbestos, Shipton township, Asbestos and Asbestic ran the Jeffrey mine shown here.
This photo dates from the end of the 19th century. Starting in the 1930s, the cable derrick system was used less and less, and was no longer really a danger to workers.
These anonymous workers were photographed in 1899. Their children or grandchildren may have taken part in the famous asbestos strike of 1949.