1998-131 | Caraquet in winter
Caraquet in winter
3.5 x 5.5 cm
This artefact belongs to : © Musée acadien of the Université de Moncton
Keys to History
Sacred Heart College, popularly known as Caraquet College, was founded by Monseignor Joseph Théophile Allard. He was born in St. Joseph de Carleton, in Gaspé, in 1842. After attending school in Quebec, he moved to Memramcook, New Brunswick, and attended St. Joseph's College, where he fulfilled the requirements for the priesthood.
Monseignor Allard served as a priest in several parishes before taking up duties in the parish of Caraquet, in 1885. It was here that he was to realize his dream of building an educational establishment. The planning for Caraquet College began in 1895, and the first building went up the following year. It served as a rectory until the college itself was built.
With the help of the Eudist Fathers, who had agreed to administer it, Caraquet College opened its doors on January 9, 1899, with an enrollment of just 19 students. But the college prospered, and beginning in 1901, several new buildings were erected.
Unfortunately, on December 30, 1915, Caraquet College was destroyed by fire. Rather than rebuild at the same location, the administrators decided to move the college to Bathurst.
The postcard depicts Sacred Heart College before the fire of December 30, 1915.
In 1900, the college was designated a university by the Legislative Assembly of New Brunswick.
The message on this postcard was written on December 7, 1909.
Many children of the Acadian elite attended this new institution, including Monseigneur Stanislas Joseph Doucet, whilst he was priest at Grand-Anse, New Brunswick.