1996-357 | Memorial Hall, St-Joseph's NB
Memorial Hall, St-Joseph's NB
Valentine & Sons Publishing Co. Ltd
87 x 138 cm
This artefact belongs to : © Musée acadien of the Université de Moncton
Keys to History
After the death of Reverend Father Camille Lefebvre c.s.c., the alumni society of St. Joseph's College decided to find a way to commemorate the memory of that Acadian saviour.
Pierre-Amand Landry, a provincial judge and president of the alumni society, and an executive board decided to erect a building in the name of Father Lefebvre. Numerous activities were undertaken to raise the necessary funds.
That fundraising drive having been successful, a new building was constructed on the campus of the college. It housed physics and chemistry laboratories as well as a first-class concert hall and several classrooms.
Memorial Hall quickly gained a reputation for its excellent acoustics.
The building has a sweeping view of the Memramcook Valley.
The official opening of Memorial Hall took place on June 16, 1897.
Many Acadian artists performed in the hall, among them violinist Arthur LeBlanc and singer Anna Malenfant.