1995-129 | Société l'Assomption
7 x 25.5 cm
Gift of Centre d'études acadiennes
This artefact belongs to : © Musée acadien of the Université de Moncton
Keys to History
In the late 19th century, many Acadians emigrated to the larger towns and cities of New England in search of work in industry. The French-speaking Acadian population felt a need to unite in order to ensure the survival of its language and culture. A fraternal association, the Society of the Assumption, was founded in Waltham, Massachusetts, in 1903.
The popularity of this charitable organization made it possible to found four more chapters the same year, all of them in Massachusetts. They took names that recalled Acadian history: the original chapter in Waltham was called Acadie, and the others were Port Royal, Beauséjour, M.-F. Richard and D'Entremont. The first Canadian chapter was founded in Bouctouche, NB, in 1904 and took the name Evangeline.
The Society played an important role in the promotion and safeguard of Acadian culture, taking part in all the major patriotic events, such as Acadian national conventions. Its motto was "Union, charity, protection."
This ribbon identified the secretary-treasurer of the Evangeline chapter of the Society of the Assumption. The Society had other ribbons for the positions of president, treasurer, etc.
In 1913, the Society of the Assumption moved its headquarters to Moncton, NB, and later became a life insurance company.
The first Canadian chapter of the Society of the Assumption was founded on July 25, 1904.
The Assumption refers to the bodily taking up of the Virgin Mary, patron saint of the Acadians, into heaven after her death.