1993.281 | Ribbon
1959, 20th century
8 x 5.6 cm
Gift of Centre d'études acadiennes
This artefact belongs to : © Musée acadien of the Université de Moncton
Keys to History
By establishing these teachers' groups, Acadians hoped to provide services not available from the New Brunswick Teachers' Association. These groups gave them the opportunity to meet to discuss the problems endemic to their profession and to hear lectures on education in French. It was at the conference of the Association acadienne d'éducation (AAE) in Bathurst in 1946 that the Association of Acadian teachers of New Brunswick was founded. In 1967 it became the Association of francophone teachers of New Brunswick. As always, its primary concerns were the interests of its members and the enhancement of education in the French language.
This was the ribbon worn by delegates to the 10th anniversary of the Association des instituteurs acadiens held in Restigouche, New Brunswick, in 1959.
The archives of the Association des instituteurs acadiens are held in the Centre d'études acadiennes at the Université de Moncton.
In 1967 the Association des instituteurs acadiens became the Association des enseignants francophones du Nouveau-Brunswick.
Alban Daigle, an Edmundston primary-school teacher, was the first chairman of the Association des instituteurs acadiens from 1946 to 1947.