1989.264 | Town hall, St. Basile, N.B.
Town hall, St. Basile, N.B.
1900-1999, 20th century
8.9 x 14 cm
This artefact belongs to : © Musée acadien of the Université de Moncton
Keys to History
Over the years, the sisters of the Religious Hospitallers of St. Joseph, active in the Madawaska since 1873, had welcomed students, patients and orphans to their college, hospital and orphanage.
It was largely thanks to education that the Acadians were able to take their place in the political and decision-making structures of the Maritimes. The religious communities that had settled in Acadia in the 19th and 20th centuries assisted in achieving this political progress.
In 2000 the Hôtel Dieu St. Joseph hospital in St. Basile, in the Madawaska region, was declared a provincial historic site by the government of New Brunswick.
St. Basile is in northwestern New Brunswick and is now part of the city of Edmundston.
As soon as they arrived in St. Basile in 1873, the Religious Hospitallers of St. Joseph began caring for the sick.
This postcard is addressed to Mlle Jacqueline Bard, Collège Notre-Dame d'Acadie, in Moncton, New Brunswick.