1987.17.685 | St. Peter's Church and Convent, Caraquet, New Brunswick
St. Peter's Church and Convent, Caraquet, New Brunswick
About 1900, 19th century or 20th century
12.2 x 15.2 cm
William Francis Ganong Collection
This artefact belongs to: © New Brunswick Museum
Keys to History
Acadian culture had experienced an awakening in New Brunswick in the 1880s. By the beginning of the 20th century, Acadian leaders were focusing their attention on the struggle for representation in the higher ranks of the Catholic Church. For decades, Acadians had been concerned about the lack of Acadian leadership in the Church; 17 bishops had been appointed for the Maritimes, but not one of them was a Francophone. Since organized religion played such an important role in their daily lives, the Acadians perceived this trend as a threat to their culture.
In their attempts to secure a Francophone bishop in the Maritimes, Acadian leaders sent petitions to the apostolic delegate in Ottawa, lobbied the Vatican directly and orchestrated regular newspaper campaigns. By the early 1900s, the Acadian elite was dedicating much of its energies and talents to this campaign. Their efforts to secure a Francophone bishop for the Maritimes finally met with success in 1912, when Rome appointed Father Edouard LeBlanc (1870-1935) as Bishop of Saint John.
The church and convent were constructed of stone, illustrating the buildings' importance and permanence in the community.
Caraquet lies on the shores of Chaleur Bay in the northeast corner of New Brunswick.
This photograph was taken in 1903 by Father Joseph Courtois, a Eudist priest in Caraquet.
Father Joseph Courtois and the respected scholar Dr. William Francis Ganong (1864-1941) produced an excellent photographic record of Acadian life in this period.