1987.17.32 | The Hermitage, Fredericton, N.B.
The Hermitage, Fredericton, N.B.
Timothy O'Connor (1810 - 1891)
1840-1850, 19th century
30.3 x 47.4 cm
Gift of Dr. William Francis Ganong, 1942
This artefact belongs to: © New Brunswick Museum
Keys to History
Timothy O'Connor (1810-1891) was born in Ireland but "came out" to New Brunswick with his father, Michael O'Connor, later well known as a provincial deputy surveyor, in 1826. The younger O'Connor entered the Crown Land Office at an early age and rose to the position of chief draftsman, which he held for about 25 years. O'Connor Jr. married Eleanor Cooney and successfully integrated into the larger community. The O'Connors raised a large family that included: the Reverend Arthur O'Connor, Rector of Peshtigo, Wisconsin; Mary Jane O'Connor, a Grey Nun in Quebec; Timothy O'Connor, a prominent Fredericton merchant; and Charles O'Connor, a lawyer, one-time editor of The New Hampshire Catholic and, later, the U.S. Consul at Yarmouth, Nova Scotia.
This 1830s hand-coloured lithograph was made by Timothy O'Connor, after John Grant.
Source : Out of Ireland [Web tour], by New Brunswick Museum (see Links)
The process of lithography is used to transfer an image onto paper from a flat surface such as quarried limestone, which is prepared so that certain parts receive ink while others repel it.
Fredericton, the capital of New Brunswick, is the subject of numerous 19th-century sketches, prints and paintings.
Prints of this kind, which were regularly issued, traced the exploration, settlement and gradual growth of 19th-century New Brunswick.
William Frances Ganong, the donor of this item, was a noted botanist and historian who collected information and images relating to New Brunswick's past.