1986-64 | Roman Catholic church, convent and priests' residence

The most recent version of the Flash plugin must be installed
Get Flash Player
Creative Commons License
Roman Catholic church, convent and priests' residence
About 1907
9 x 14 cm
Gift of Paul Édouard Bourque
This artefact belongs to : © Musée acadien of the Université de Moncton
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Keys to History

The convent at Bouctouche, New Brunswick, was founded in 1880 by Father François-Xavier Joseph Michaud. The architectural style of the building was Second Empire; the chapel, however, was in a neo-gothic style.

The residence was run at first by the nuns of the Charité de Saint-Jean, then by the Sisters of Notre-Dame-du-Sacré-Coeur, who took over in 1924. The latter played a central role in the Acadian education system.

During its existence, the Bouctouche convent saw some 6,000 students pass through its doors; of those, almost 450 obtained their teaching certificate at the convent.

In 1969, the Bouctouche convent closed its doors.

  • What

    In 1977, after a series of renovations, the doors of this building were thrown open once again, but this time as the home of the Kent Museum.

  • Where

    The order of the Sisters of Charity as well as the nuns of la Charité de Saint-Jean lived and worked in Memramcook, New Brunswick, before moving to the convent at Bouctouche, New Brunswick.

  • When

    In 1996, the convent of l'Immaculée-Conception was designated a historic site by the province of New Brunswick.

  • Who

    The list of graduates of the convent includes Senator Calixte F. Savoie, Antonine Maillet, Marguerite Michaud and many others.