19760234066 | Staff on and around narrow gauge engine No. 6 on the occasion of the merger of the AR&IC Co. and the CPR, AB, April 1, 1912
Staff on and around narrow gauge engine No. 6 on the occasion of the merger of the AR&IC Co. and the CPR, AB, April 1, 1912
April 1st 1912, 20th century
Silver salts on paper
21.5 x 27.2 cm
This artefact belongs to : © Sir Alexander Galt Museum and Archives
Keys to History
In 1902 the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) leased the narrow-gauge line from Lethbridge to Dunmore Junction and rebuilt it to standard gauge. The lease agreement marked the beginning of the end for the Galt companies in southern Alberta. On April 1, 1912 the CPR assumed control of all Galt assets in southern Alberta. Rail operations were placed under the control of the Medicine Hat Division while land, irrigation and mining activities became the responsibility of the CPR's Department of Natural Resources.
For a short time, there existed at Lethbridge two rail yards, one narrow gauge and one standard gauge. The narrow-gauge yards were perched on the edge of the coulee, while the standard-gauge yards were several blocks east.
With the completion of this new line, Lethbridge became the hub of an east-west railway line from Dunmore Junction to the Crowsnest Pass and of a north-south line from Calgary to Coutts.
The CPR had already leased the AR&CCo.'s Lethbridge-Fort Macleod line, and in 1909 finished a new line along a different route between the two communities.
This photograph shows staff on and around narrow-gauge engine no. 6 on the occasion of the merger of the Alberta Railway & Coal Company (AR&CCo.) and the CPR on April 1, 1912.