1975.54.2 | Chest of drawers
Lordly, Howe and Company
About 1875, 19th century
197 x 105 x 46 cm
Purchase by Webster Museum Foundation
This artefact belongs to: © New Brunswick Museum
Keys to History
Albert J. Lordly and Jonas Howe produced fine furniture under the name of Lordly, Howe & Co. in Saint John. Lordly's sons later joined the firm, thus establishing a family tradition of cabinetmakers. Born in Nova Scotia, Lordly was living in Fredericton in the 1840s, later relocating to Saint John. Howe, for his part, also came from a distinguished family of craftsmen and for a time operated a business with his brother, John D. Howe. Their parents, John and Jane Howe, had come from Ireland in the 1830s.
The cottage-style furniture produced by Lordly and Howe was noted for its grained finish and hand-painted floral and vine decorations. As evidence of their popularity, examples of their work can be found throughout the St. John River Valley and beyond.
Source : Window on the World: The Rivers of New Brunswick [Web tour], by New Brunswick Museum (see Links)
The chest of drawers is made of walnut and pine, with the makers' mark stamped on the back.
The Lordly and Howe factory was located at the end of Union Street, on Courtney Bay in Saint John.
The Lordly and Howe partnership began in 1869, thus making this chest one of the partners' earliest pieces.
Albert J. Lordly trained his partner's brother, John D. Howe, who in turn trained Alban Emery, another outstanding New Brunswick cabinetmaker.