19738627000 | Looking into north Lethbridge from the railroad tracks at about 19th Street, AB, about 1910
Looking into north Lethbridge from the railroad tracks at about 19th Street, AB, about 1910
About 1910, 20th century
Silver salts on paper
This artefact belongs to : © Sir Alexander Galt Museum and Archives
Keys to History
North Lethbridge evolved from homes clustered close to Galt Mines Nos. 3 and 6. In fact, the Village of Stafford at Galt Mine No. 3 and Hardieville at Galt Mine No. 6 began as independent villages that were eventually absorbed by Lethbridge. There was a small business district along 13th Street North, and of course there were churches, schools, social clubs and parks. While people regularly moved back and forth across the railway tracks, differences between north and south Lethbridge persisted even after the rail yards were moved to Kipp in the late 1980s and early 1990s.
Looking into north Lethbridge from the railroad tracks at about 19th Street, around 1910.
North Lethbridge was known for its neighbourhoods where people with similar backgrounds lived together. "Little Wigan," on the west side of 13th Street North between 9th and 14th Avenues North, was inhabited by families from Wigan, Lancashire, England.
Early streets in north Lethbridge were characterized by narrow lots 7.6 m across the front. Small miners' cottages were built on these lots, some of which survive today.
The Miners Library, a social club in north Lethbridge, sponsored sports teams and community activities for more than 100 years until it closed in 2003.