1973.113.4 | Mrs. Shadrach Holly when Miss Hannah Tapley
Mrs. Shadrach Holly when Miss Hannah Tapley
1903, 20th century
This artefact belongs to: © New Brunswick Museum
Keys to History
Ceramic collecting emerged as a popular activity across North America around the turn of the 20th century. The collection of ceramic plates and other items from this period now at the New Brunswick Museum indicates that New Brunswickers were very involved in this activity. Since there were no porcelain manufacturers in New Brunswick and the prevailing taste was for fine European ceramics, the delicate objects had to be imported from countries such as Austria, Germany, England and France. A very popular manufacturer working out of Limoges, France, was Haviland & Co., owned and operated by the Haviland family from the United States. Although in the early 20th century most manufacturers primarily produced tableware, many also began producing luxury wares. Some New Brunswickers enjoyed painting and decorating blank porcelain dishes that they had purchased for this purpose.
This plate, though manufactured in Limoges, France, was hand-decorated in New Brunswick with a portrait of the artist's mother.
In Saint John, New Brunswick, a branch of the Womens' Art Association of Canada promoted the production of handicrafts and needlework.
In February 1904, the Saint John members of the Women's Art Association held an exhibition of their work at the group's studio on Princess Street.
Hannah Marion Holly (1860-1945), who painted this plate, studied art with John Hammond (1843-1939) at the Owens Art Institution in Saint John, New Brunswick.