1963.35 | Maggie Chapman
About 1875, 19th century
57 x 86.5 cm
Gift of Elizabeth A. Bedard
This artefact belongs to: © New Brunswick Museum
Keys to History
The Maggie Chapman, launched from the yard of William Hickman of Dorchester, New Brunswick, was owned by a number of individuals in the Dorchester area, including Hickman and William Keillor Chapman. The company flag of Hickman & Chapman (H & C) displayed at the fore truck in this ship portrait indicates the corporate relationship.
The Maggie Chapman's career lasted ten years before she was abandoned on a voyage from Philadelphia to Antwerp, Belgium. The painting was produced in the Altona, Germany studio of Peter Christian Holm (1823-1888) and Heinrich Andreas Sophus Petersen (1834-1916).
Source : The Golden Age of Sail [Web tour], by New Brunswick Museum (see Links)
The dimensions of the Maggie Chapman were 48.5 metres by 11 metres by 6.2 metres with a tonnage of 779.75.
The painting shows the barque under full sail near Dover, England. Note the castle and the white cliffs in the left background.
The Maggie Chapman was built in Dorchester, New Brunswick, in 1868.
The Maggie Chapman portrait is inscribed on the lower right: H. Petersen/P.C. Holm. The double signature may not indicate collaboration on the portrait, but may simply be because the names were always inscribed on works issued by the firm.