1954.82 | Anglo America under Construction
Anglo America under Construction
1876, 19th century
18.5 x 23.9 cm
Gift of Ina Sarah Roberts
This artefact belongs to: © New Brunswick Museum
Keys to History
The ship's backbone was formed by laying the keel on to a series of blocks, or stocks, angled toward the water. The stem and stern posts were fastened at either end, and then frames were raised like ribs into position along the keel, giving the vessel its shape.
Planking was used to cover the ship's exterior and deck. A skilled crew could attach the planking to the ship's skeleton at the rate of two to five levels, or "strakes", per day. Borers drilled holes through the planks and frame, and the fastener secured these with large wooden tree nails, or "trunnels".
This image shows the ship Anglo America under construction.
Source : The Golden Age of Sail [Web tour], by New Brunswick Museum (see Links)
The Anglo America had a gross tonnage of 1533.
The Hilyard Bros. yard was located near the site of Fort La Tour, in what was then the City of Portland, now part of Saint John.
The Anglo America was built in 1876.
Thomas K. Hilyard and his brother Henry, sons of shipbuilder Thomas Hilyard, built the Anglo America.